Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Not Only the Right Pieces, But the Right Puzzle

Right now it feels like someone dumped three very different jigsaw puzzles onto my playing surface and I am left to pick up the pieces, not only trying to figure out which pieces go to which puzzle, but which puzzle to focus on first. My brain is in a knot as I think and toy and tinker with these myriad pieces for my new book.

As much as it is a challenge, it is exciting, too, to start this new puzzle. This book feels very different for me, so I start, stop, retrace steps, and start again. I think this is telling me that I am still finding my way through the mismatched pieces.

I read a blog piece today by Diana Peterfreund that gives good advice on synopsis writing: write the synopsis before writing the book. This makes sense to me, even though I have yet to start any of my books with this level of detail. Still, since this book is a new experience for me I think it would be a good exercise to give the synopsis a try.

What about you? How do you start your writing process? Inquiring minds want to know!

xoxo,
bex

No comments:

Post a Comment