Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What I'm Reading

After having spent some time at Harvard as both a graduate student and an employee, I fell in love with the place and so many of its people, and list it as one of my favorite places on Earth. My experience as a grad student though would be very different from that of a Harvard undergraduate student, so when I stumbled across Ross Gregory Douthat's book, Privilege: Harvard and the Education of the Ruling Class, I was eager to read about the perspectives of someone who got to see and experience Harvard through those four, formative undergrad years.

It's a very different experience than the one I had -- either as a grad student at Harvard or as an undergrad at my state university. Reading the book was like getting glimpses into the natural habitats of some very rare species. Interesting, unusual, and sometimes pretty foreign but nonetheless fascinating and informative.

For anyone interested in looking behind the curtain of the Ivy League, I recommend it!

xoxo,
bex

No comments:

Post a Comment